Tuesday, September 9, 2008

back to the grind

It's been a while since I've blogged. I guess my mind refused to accept the fact that I was no longer on vacation - which went by WAY too fast, by the way. But it's amazing how refreshing simply relaxing and enjoying a couple of weeks with no obligations and no guilt is. You see, every day I have this horrible gray cloud of, "I really should be reading my such-and-such textbook," of course this doesn't mean I actually read a word of it...but the cloud is ever present. But for two blessed, blissful weeks there really wasn't anything I should be reading.

But now school is back in session and that gray cloud is once again hanging over my head. And what am I doing? blogging! ha!

This semester actually has the potential to be interesting. I'm taking epidemiology (zzzzz), Critical Care, and Leadership/Management. Epi is a general class, meaning it's not just for nursing students and is way too easy and all about statistics. My Leadership/Management is an absolute bore. Why am I complaining for the privilege of learning? Yes, I do have a couple of twitches of guilt about that, but not much seeing that it's a class about how to structure a meeting, bureaucracy, and oh, did I mention it's 3 hours long and we're not allowed to do anything in the class? Our instructor refers to class as "meetings" and is very strict with student conduct. I understand that she's trying to turn us into professionals, but it's pretty clear she's used to teaching community college classes where students don't have much, if any, "real world" business experience. We do not need to be coddled and told that we cannot check our e-mail. Of course checking e-mail is rude and inappropriate during class, but students are literally falling asleep in class!

My other class is Critical Care which is just like its name: caring for people in critical conditions. Now, why is this class only 50 minutes away but our leadership class is 3 hours? Who knows! But the clinical should be interesting...ICU, ER, OR, Cath Lab, and step-down unit. It's not as "scary" as I thought it would be and the hospital is surprisingly pretty good!

Alright, enough of this. I'm boring myself with this writing...
Before I sign off though, I'll reminisce about my vacation and post an incredibly cute picture of my niece and nephew wearing the presents I brought them back from Hawaii. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where on earth did you find those adorable children!?!
;)

ARC said...

Hey!... I have been praying for you in last days and hope that you (family and friends) be well!...
(I know, this thought sounds strange to you, because we never meet, but since the train disaster in L.A., I thought these days if you're good or not? - This is how I am, and feel).
Human life is so fragile face of disasters of this kind. Everything good for you!

Devi said...

Hi pami - nice blog! How are you? Where are you? Your nursing photos are pretty incredible. I've got a good friend in Melbourne who's a paediatric nurse, and she likes to gross me out with stories..