Friday, August 7, 2009

Nurses still wear caps?

Did you know that in some parts of the world, registered nurses still wear those white caps? And they still wear white stockings? And they still wear white dresses or outfits? Yes, it's true! Yesterday I went with my dad to one of the major hospitals over here and I snuck a few pictures of the nurses (hence the lame shots). These hospitals are state-of-the-art, top-notch hospitals!!
Can you imagine what would happen if US nurses were still required to wear the caps? I'm glad I don't have to wear it, but it some ways it would be helpful for our patients to identify us as the RNs. With so many allied health professionals in the hospitals (nurses aids, doctors, occupational therapists, speech therapists, house-keeping, physical therapists, etc, etc, etc) all wearing scrubs, patients often get confused who the nurse is...the person ultimately in charge of their minute-by-minute care. Hmmmm...something to think about.

0 comments: