Friday, April 3, 2009

Patients Say the Darndest Things

One of my patients this week was in isolation for testing positive to MRSA (a bacteria that has become resistant to some antibiotics). It's not that big of a deal, but we still have to wear this very trendy yellow gown and gloves whenever we enter the room.

I had to go in at 6am to give the patient a shot in the belly to prevent blood clots. I turned the dim lights on to save his eyes as he was sound asleep. After waking him up and doing all the normal procedural stuff, I walked up to his bedside, helped him pull up his gown and administered the injection. It wasn't until I'd stepped away that I realized in the dim light that I had been standing in a huge puddle of fluid. A quick glace at his IV bag showed it was still full, so I asked him if he knew why there was water on the floor.

With a big grin he said, "That there is 100% pure pee!"

Ahhhhh yes! gotta love it. Apparently he had tipped over his urinal after filling it during the night and I had the pleasure of stepping in it. You can be sure I took my shoes off outside my door and sprayed them REALLY well with Tilex. Yuck! His urine probably wasn't infected, but just the fact that it had come from an isolated patient made it even worse.

0 comments: