Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Camp Nurse

Ever since I was a little girl, I've had a secret desire to be a camp nurse...perhaps it's because of the close relationships I developed with the camp nurses at all the summer camps I went to or maybe it's because of my secret love affair with band-aids - and everyone knows camp nurses give out the most band-aids. So when my classmate asked if I would like to go with her to her church's jr. high and high school summer camp, I jumped at the opportunity. What fun!

Thankfully we only had to contact 911 once and it was for a minor issue. We did have one poor sweetie with tonsillitis which required a visit to the ER for a scrip, but that was it for the "major" events. I got to dole out dozens upon dozens of band-aids and of course all the meds these kids are on (a surprising number of which were psych drugs!). So for 370 kids and 5 days, not a bad record.

I'd forgotten though, how much I love the mountains. I've always considered myself a beach girl, and still do, but I do love the mountains in the summer time. The squirrels were fun to watch and air was so crisp. There's just something about that fresh pine smell that's hard to beat. Unfortunately, mountains rarely have a Starbucks on every corner, and camp coffee leaves a bit to be desired. BUT, one of the many perks of being camp nurse is that people generally tend to appreciate you which means for surprise treats! Woo-hoo!!!
Fellow classmate, Krystin and me enjoying pure bliss!

1 comments:

krystin said...

Haha I *love* this post! That was such a great time. I'm so glad we did it. Can't wait to do it again. :)