Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Grateful Person

I was sitting at a coffee shop today with my nursing classmates working on the dreaded group project. As I was sitting there I began to get a bit grumpy because I could think of a dozen other things I'd rather be doing... Not that I don't enjoy my friends...but who wants to spend Thanksgiving break sitting in a coffee shop working on a fictitious project, a project that smacks of busy-work and uselessness? I looked down at my Mac and surfed the internet, sipped on my coffee, and tugged my scarf a bit closer to my neck. All of the sudden my stomach sank and this overwhelming feeling of self-confrontation descended.

Am I truly grateful for all that I have? I have 24/7 access to the internet on a laptop I love. I was sitting in a coffee shop drinking an overpriced cup of coffee I had paid for. I was wearing a warm scarf I had gotten in Spain on my semester abroad. I have SO much! And all too often I am grateful for so little of it. I am 3.5 weeks away from finishing nursing school. God has blessed me beyond belief. I dare not say that He has blessed me more than I deserve because I deserve absolutely nothing. I have done nothing to "earn" any of this... God is so faithful and good. And the ironic and sovereign thing is that even if I were failing all my classes, had been dropped from the program, or had a tragedy suddenly happen in my life, God would still be just as faithful and good. My circumstances do not change His goodness or faithfulness. Taken a step further, my circumstances, regardless of what they may be, are simply an everlasting testimony to His greatness.

Viewed in retrospect, I am grateful for more than just the "things" I have. I am grateful for the trials, the frustrations, even for those who complain nonstop. Through these things He is teaching me perseverance, patience, discernment, and faithfulness. I fail miserably all the time at my effort to be grateful, but He sustains me and gently encourages me to keep my eyes on Him and the things that matter.

I've recently been listening to the song "Grateful People". This is my prayer, that I would be grateful to my King, surrender and give Him the praises He so righteously deserves. Take my life, O God.

A Grateful People
It is time that we give you honor
This is the day to give you
All the praise that you deserve


A Holy King, of everything

Inhabit the praises of Your people


Have we waited far too long to surrender

Forgive us, Oh God, the years

We failed to seek your face

Oh Lord, your mercy turns us into

Grateful people

We can’t seem to find the words

So take our lives that there might be enough

To tell you how grateful
Lord, we are grateful

Bless the Lord, oh my soul
(He has done great things)

And all that is within me

(He had done great things)
Bless His holy name

0 comments: