Friday, February 13, 2009

It's Official

I found out yesterday that in addition to being a real live Registered Nurse, I am now an EMPLOYED nurse! Praise God! I was offered a position at the prestigious Sunny Regional Hospital (name changed). To say I am excited is a huge understatement.

I was asked to go down to HR today to go through the preliminary paperwork and screening. This included a drug screen where I nearly had to be observed peeing in a cup (not really, but ALMOST!). This was followed by a TB test and this very interesting physical fitness test. Now most people think a physical fitness test includes running the mile, doing sit-ups, pull-ups, etc... Oh no. I had to walk 8 laps in a hallway to simulate walking on the unit where I will work, spend 60 seconds with my hands above my head (IV pole work), 10 compressions on a scale (CPR), lifting a bar, pulling a bar, pushing a bar (patient transfers), hold an 11 pound board for 2 minutes (lifting a limb for a dressing change) and 10 minutes of writing (documenting)... Very interesting.

So once this is all cleared and my background check is approved, I will begin orientation the week after next. I am still in shock. All this studying, sweat, blood, and tears will finally pay off! I'll actually be earning money instead of earning grades. And the best part??? NO tedious careplans! Ha!

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement from everyone and keep reading for the stories of a real nurse. :-)

0 comments: