Thursday, February 5, 2009

Officially a Registered Nurse!!


Last Monday was the big day. I got up early and made my coffee, prayed, tried to relax and prepare myself for the big appointment at 8am. I stopped at McDonalds and got my favorite breakfast - a Sausage McMuffin, since a bowl a Cheerios just wasn't gonna cut it. Then it was on to the testing center.
After signing my life away and nearly being strip-searched, I was led to my little computer, complete with a video camera overhead to make sure I didn't cheat. With the exception of just a few questions, I was not 100% sure about the answers. Whenever I started to feel overwhelmed, I just took a few more deep breaths and prayed for peace and wisdom. It was pretty funny in retrospect. I started the exam all proper; both feet on the floor, back straight, staring straight ahead. By the end, I was slouching all over the place; head on the desk, feet on the chair, or leaning all the way back. I asked the proctor about it afterwards and we both laughed at watching people taking tests. It must make for an amusing job!
When I left the testing center, I truly had no idea how I did...or if I'd passed. I hear this is the norm for everyone. I wasn't sure how soon I'd get my results, but I knew that I would have them by Friday at the latest. I checked multiple times yesterday with no luck. I was pretty sure I'd know by this morning. When my roommate got up at 6am, I debated getting up and checking, but decided that if I hadn't passed, that I would rather sleep with blissful innocence for a bit longer. I kept having dreams about getting up and checking. When I finally did wake up, I was surprised those dreams hadn't been real! But sure enough, I checked and lo and behold, there is MY name with the oh-so-exciting initials, "RN" afterwards! Wow! I PASSED!
The glory be to God, not me. And He is so faithful. The amazing thing is that even if I hadn't passed, He is no less faithful, amazing, or great. My actions or inactions do not change His attributes. Praise God!
In closing, I'll repeat the words of Paul. "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to HIM be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." (Eph 3:20-21, ESV)

0 comments: