Friday, March 6, 2009

Aching Feet

I had heard that nurses walk alot, and got to do some of this during nursing school without many problems, but I did not realize how much my feet would hurt after two straight days on the floor. I don't think the shoes I got are the best for the job...hmmm, might have to rethink that one. Anyone up for giving a good foot massage? :)

I've really enjoyed working with the staff as I get to know the routine and am given more and more responsibility. It is weird to have access to all the potent narcotics and give the patients meds with no supervision. I love not having someone constantly glancing over my shoulder. Many new nurses have a hard time not having this safety cushion of knowing that someone is watching to make sure they don't "mess-up," kind of like a security blanket. Not me! I love the freedom, the autonomy to make my own assessments and decisions. This doesn't mean that I don't ask for help or advice, but I love knowing that I don't have to check every little action with an instructor or the RN I'm shadowing.

Yesterday I was introduced to the world of nursing potlucks. Wow! So much food, so much JUNK food! Pizza, KFC, lasagna, chips, soda, cookies, cakes, brownies. It was one of the CNA's birthday and boy, do they know how to party. I have also heard that the night shift is notorious for potlucks and bringing food to party with. Yikes! I have to watch it. I haven't stressed too much about what I eat for years, but unless I want to buy a whole new wardrobe, I'd best be careful. hehe.

So I'm on day shifts for two more weeks, but I've survived my first week of working 12 hour shifts. I've already learned that I'd much rather have a busy day than a slow day, as the busy days go by so much faster. I also need to wear good shoes and bring lots of gum. Other than that...I'm loving this profession of nursing!

0 comments: